Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sleepless Nights & Working Days

Since entering the third trimester, I have noticed another dramatic shift in what my body and LT are up to. Pregnancy sure does keep you on your toes! For the past 3 weeks or so I have had difficulty sleeping through the night most nights. Here is how things tyically play out:

I usually wake up between 3am and 6am to go pee...

When trying to fall back to sleep I realize that I am hungry so I get up again to eat something...

I come back to bed for the second time but by that time LT is wide awake and having a party in my belly with his little legs that are becoming increasingly powerful at giving my full belly shaking kicks (I wonder if he has calves like tree trunks, just like his Daddy?)...

I lie in bed trying to will myself to go back to sleep. I try not to think about how tired I will be on campus the next day or about all the things I have to get done! I pray that God would help my mind to calm down and go back to sleep. Sometimes I fall back asleep quickly, other times (like this morning), I get up and do something because it seems that falling back to sleep isn't much of an alternative...

Another friend who is pregnant mentioned that it is amazing how God prepares us for the birth of our babies and I have to agree. Three to four hours of sleep in a row is potentially more than I'll be getting after LT is born. Although the upside there is that I'll be on mat leave and able to nap more easily throughout the day! Trying to balance taking care of my body and LT with work is becoming tricky. When I don't sleep properly, I feel quite tired by lunchtime and I often find myself asking God to help me have the energy to work through the rest of the day with joy. Yes, God has been giving me ample opportunities to trust him during this pregnancy!

No comments: