Friday, January 27, 2012

He's Walking!!!

I don't think Sebby even realized that yesterday was a monumental day in his development! He took his first unassisted steps, walking the 4 steps from the bookshelf to where I was sitting at the table. I had a friend over for lunch and he really wanted me to read him a book. He took one from the bookshelf and brought it over to me. 

I wasn't totally sure if it was a fluke or if he is walking now but when Darren got home, he walked a few steps for him too. This morning in the kitchen, he walked around, and this afternoon at my friends house, he was walking all over the kitchen and living room. Yay!

The "standing but not walking" stage seemed like it had been going on forever. He has been pulling himself up to standing since August but his lack of balance made us wonder if we would have to wait months until Sebby would walk on his own. Lately it seemed like he was getting somewhat steadier on his feet, he would take falling steps towards me from the coffee table and bookshelf. However, I was quite surprised to see him talk his first steps!

Darren & I are pretty excited about this development. We are hoping that it will make things easier in the sense that we won't have to carry him everywhere. I know it can be a difficult stage in some ways due to the many bumps and bruises. Some kids are really slow walkers but I don't think this will be an issue with Sebby. We anticipate that once he is walking confidently, he will be running confidently and we will have to be even quicker at chasing after him.

I'm working on getting a video of him walking but he isn't walking "on demand" so far, instead, he walks when he decides that he wants to walk. Yes, our little Sebby sure has a mind of his own, sounds like someone else I know...

No comments: