Saturday, February 26, 2011

New Understanding

Since I now spend several hours each day sitting down to feed Seb, I have lots of time for activities that can be done with one hand (or no hands), while feeding a baby. In the beginning, I spent a lot of time on Facebook and email but I quickly realized that I would have to find more "meaningful" ways to occupy myself so I began listening to documentaries and reading.

I also printed off a reading plan to guide me as read through the Bible this year, something I have attempted before but never managed to finish. I started to work my way through the plan during nighttime feedings and after the first night I was hooked! I can't honestly say I have read it every night but some nights I get so into what I am reading that I read several chapters more than the suggested daily reading.

I am enjoying the selections from both the New and Old Testaments and find myself reading and understanding with the fresh eyes and new heart of a mother. I started reading the Gospel of Luke earlier this week and loved paying attention to Mary and Elizabeth's experiences during pregnancy. I had never noticed before that Elizabeth went into seclusion for the first five months of her pregnancy. How did she spend her time, I wonder? How did she feel? 

Overall, being a mom helps me to understand God's character and motivations so much better. A few nights ago, I was reflecting on how God was willing to die for us, his children, because of his great love for us. God's kind of love is difficult, if not impossible to comprehend but having my own child helps my heart understand because as I was thinking about how much I love Seb, I realized that I love him so much that I would die for him.

I can't believe that as much as I love Seb, God loves us even more! That's an amazing kind of love!

No comments: