Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Seb's Birth Story - Early Labour

On Thursday, December 16th, I woke up at 2:30am because I had my first contraction. I was sure that was a contraction...twisting pain in my stomach that felt a bit like period cramps that went away after about 30 seconds. I knew that this was the beginning of a long process that would likely take at least several hours to progress so I didn't wake Darren. Sure enough, by 8am the contractions had calmed down and I was able to go back to sleep for a few hours. When I woke up, the contractions had essentially vanished. Sad times!

That whole day is a bit of a blur to me, breathing through early labour and running errands. One thing I do remember is that Darren had called his parents in the morning to say that I was having contractions. They sounded quite excited. Later in the afternoon we missed a call from them because we had been installing the car seat. When we talked to them a bit later Darren's dad said, "Wow, you had the baby and are already being discharged from the hospital, that's fast!" I laughed then had to give him the bad news that he was potentially still many hours away from becoming a grandad.

By Friday, we decided to try some different tricks to help the baby come out.

Even though it was really cold outside, we walked to the Farmers Market (half hour each way). Still very few contractions so we tried something diffeerent when we got home and amazingly it WORKED! Contractions were back and in full swing! Labor had begun!

No comments: