Saturday, July 9, 2011

Until Further Notice...

I'm continuing with the hypoallergenic diet AND I'm off dairy, soy, gluten, eggs and nuts until I stop nursing Sebby. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this reality, wondering how I will be able to eat outside our home without worrying about accidentally ingesting one of the items on our forbidden list and having Sebby get sick as a result.

We saw the Naturopath this week and I was hoping she would give me a nice food re-introduction schedule that I could begin this weekend and that I'd be back to eating a bit more like myself again in no time. Sadly, that was wishful thinking. She told me that it would be best to continue the hypoallergenic diet without re-introducing anything until Sebby's system was better cleared out.

I'll have to admit, I was disappointed. Avoiding the foods that he is allergic to me is difficult enough but this hypoallergenic diet makes it almost impossible to eat out because it is so restrictive. It takes some of the the fun out of socializing and going out when you have to worry so much about every ingredient you are ingesting.

However, I know I am not the first person to follow such a restrictive diet and it isn't all bad news.

Most importantly, this diet is helping Sebby to continue to receive the benefits beings of being breastfed without being exposed the foods he is allergic to. His health is a top priority for me.

 Just look at this adorable smile!

Another benefit is that I am eating more healthy than ever before in my life. Plus, I am developing a more sensitive palate and am discovering new foods! Last week, we had a wonderful lunch with a friend at a vegan restaurant in Toronto. I ordered a delicious salad made with quinoa, lentils, beans and beets. I didn't think I liked beets but turns out they were quite tasty.

I'm looking forward to settling in to our flat in Scotland so I can begin experimenting with some baking and cooking. (Thus far I've had some pretty dismal failures, like this morning's "fluffy" coconut pancakes that were raw in the middle and flat!). I am also hoping to discover a great gluten free or vegan place for our family to enjoy.
 

No comments: