Wednesday, June 30, 2010

South Asia Adventure - Part 1: What Happened?

* Caution to guys and anyone who is queasy about blood or girly details, I will try not to be too graphic but consider yourself warned that this post may contain disturbing content.*

Our time in South Asia was  different than anything we could have ever expected but we did have quite an adventure! Now that we're at home and I'm back online, I wanted to share a bit about our experiences.

Darren & I had planned to take a few days vacation in South Asia, before beginning a work project. Two days after our arrival, I began to have very heavy bleeding (way more bleeding than the heaviest day of your period), which I knew was a really bad sign for a pregnant chick. I was worried that I was having a miscarriage so we rushed to the hospital. I was seen almost immediately by a doctor and then admitted to the hospital for tests, meds and strict bed rest.

The first two days in the hospital were the hardest because I could not leave my bed or even sit up. I had to use the bathroom in a bed pan (that was pretty gross!) and was hooked up to an IV that soon punctured the vein in my hand and got infected. I wasn't in much physical pain but I was in a lot of emotional pain as I battled with the fear of potentially losing the baby. I mostly stared at the wall or at the TV, not having the energy to do much else.

Meanwhile, Darren ran around, graciously dealing with the aftermath of my hospitalization: hospital paperwork, making endless numbers of calls to our insurance provider, emailing and calling Canada to let people know what was going on, returning to our hotel to check out and bringing our luggage to the hospital, etc...

 We ended up staying at the hospital two weeks. Although I still had challenging moments, I started to feel better after the first few days. We were so blessed to be at that particular hospital for so many reasons! To name a few...

- They moved me to a sweet private room equipped with AC, a TV, wardrobe & an extra bed so that Darren could stay in the room with me.

- They provided special meals for both Darren &  I. The doctor called me every day to see what I wanted to eat!  One evening they even ordered Pizza Hut for us.

- The nurses were awesome! They patted me on the arm and said, "How are you my darling?" and told me not to worry because God was looking after us. They often dropped by to chat, teaching us about the culture and local language.

- I had ultrasounds every 2-3 days so we were blessed to watch Little Tarren grow bigger and stronger before our eyes.

- My doctor was a specialist in maternal health and had many years of experience dealing with complicated pregnancies. More than her extensive medical knowledge, I was thankful for her tremendous concern for me! The day before we left the hospital, she confessed that when she saw me for the first time, she was very worried that I was going to miscarry right there in front of her. She was pleased that my health and the baby's health had improved and asked me to stay in touch after leaving the hospital. I have even spoken to her since returning to Canada and she asked me to call her regularly to update her on how things are progressing!

After leaving the hospital, we went to stay with a friend's family in a nearby city. Although we had never met, they were tremendously hospitable and generous towards us! We were well taken care of during our three-week sojourn with them. Here are some of the highlights:

- Our hosts were so sweet to us. We spent most days relaxing and chatting about life. In the evenings when it was cooler outside (35 instead of 45 degrees Celsius!), they took us out to watch movies or go shopping.

- The maid, Shanti, brought us tea every morning, served us delicious meals and taught us how to cook our favourite dishes. She brought  garlands of jasmine flowers for my hair (picked from the neighbors garden).

No comments: